UPSC Current – Vehicle Scrappage Policy
Vehicle Scrappage Policy
Tags: Current affairs, GS 3
- A cabinet note on the vehicle scrappage policy has been formulated by the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- The proposed policy, once approved, will be applicable on all vehicles
- Government wants to phase out the unfit and old polluting vehicles to create an ecosystem for voluntary & environment friendly.
- The proposed policy, once approved, will be applicable on all vehicles.
- This policy will help India emerge as a hub for automobile manufacturing as key raw material available from scrapping steel; aluminium and plastic are bound to be recycled, bringing down automobile prices by “20-30 per cent”.
- On July 26, 2019, the government had proposed amendments to motor vehicle rules to allow scrapping of vehicles older than 15 years in a bid to spur adoption of electrical vehicles.