UPSC Current – Northeast Monsoons shows sign of revival
Northeast Monsoons shows sign of revival
Why in news?
As per the Indian Metrological Department have warned of heavy rain accompanied by thunder and lightning across Tamil Nadu and the rest of south Indian states.
- This year the southwest monsoon withdrawal was late and after delayed onset followed by subdued activity, the northeast monsoon has finally shown some signs of revival over the southern peninsula of India, which is a relief for Tamil Nadu.
- Two consecutive streams of easterly winds have turned the winter monsoon active.
- Hence the keeping in eyes about the rain the IMD has warned peninsular Indian states that heavy rainfall is possible till 18th November.
- A trough in easterlies in lower level is likely to affect the southern peninsula.
- The middle of this week monsoon activity had picked up inparts of Karnatka Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu since these states had not received any significant rain since October 28 when the northeast monsoon arrived over the peninsula.
- More than any other states rainfall associated with the Northeast monsoon is crucial for Tamil Nadu which receives approximately 70 per cent of its annual rainfall between October and December.
- Northeast monsoon is important for Tamil Nadu because the Southwest monsoon does not rain on the Tamil Nadu.
- Tamil Nadu receives rainfall due to Monsoon retreat behavior of the Indian monsoon.
- From October 1 to November 12 the peninsular region has experienced lesser rainfall and remained Lakshadweep with 37 per cent of rainfall remained the most rain deficient in the Peninsula.
What is the reason behind low rainfall?
As per the IMD the rainfall below the normal level in this season over extreme southern parts of Tamil Nadu is due to one of the drivers for subdued rain was the La Nina conditions which was prevailing since early August.
What is La Nina?
La Nina is the cooler than normal sea surface temperatures recorded along the east and central pacific Ocean. It influences the rainfall over India.
- La Nina literlally translated as a little girl in Spanish. Under this condition the water temperature in the Eastern Pacific gets colder than normal.
- As a result a strong high pressure created over the eastern equatorial pacific ocean and in contrary low pressure emerges over the western pacific ocean and in Asian countries coast
- There is drought condition along the Peru coast and Ecuador coast.
- Due to La Nina the possibility of good monsoon creates in India and beneficial for the Indian monsoon.
Try Free Mock Test – upsc 2021
Try today’s current affairs MCQs on Netmock