UPSC Current – NGT bans firecrackers in places where air quality is ‘poor’
NGT bans firecrackers in places where air quality is ‘poor’
Why in News?
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Monday directed that there would be a total ban on sale or use of all kinds of firecrackers between November 10 and 30 in all cities and towns across the country where the average ambient air quality in November fell under the ‘poor’ and above category.
Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organization (PESO):
- It is a statutory authority.
- It functions under Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade (DPIIT), Ministry of Commerce and Industries.
- PESO is entrusted with the responsibilities under the Explosives Act, 1884; Petroleum Act, 1934; Inflammable Substances Act, 1952, Environment (Protection Act), 1986.
- It is the nodal organization to look after safety requirements in manufacture, storage, transport and use of explosives and petroleum.
- It is headed by Chief Controller of Explosives.
- It is headquartered at Nagpur, Maharashtra.