United Nation Human Rights Council | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS |
United Nation Human Rights Council: Current Affairs
United Nation Human Rights Council (UNHRC)
Relevance: International Groupings and Bodies.
Context: India has assured Sri Lanka of its support at the United Nations Human Rights Council.
What is UNHRC?
- The United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) is a United Nations body whose mission is to promote and protect human rights around the world.
- Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland.
- The UNHRC was established by the UN General Assembly on 15 March 2006 to replace the UN Commission on Human Rights.
- The UNHRC investigates allegations of breaches of human rights in United Nations member states and addresses important thematic human rights issues such as freedom of association and assembly, freedom of expression, etc.
- The members of the General Assembly elect the members who occupy the UNHRC’s 47 seats.
- The term of each seat is three years, and no member may occupy a seat for more than two consecutive terms.
- The seats are distributed along the following line:
- 13 for the African Group
- 13 for the Asia-Pacific Group
- 6 for the Eastern European Group
- 8 for the Latin American and Caribbean Group
- 7 for the Western European and Others Group.
- India was elected to the United Nations’ top human rights body for three years beginning January 1, 2019.
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Daily Current Affairs MCQs for UPSC, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.