Shivalik elephant reserve to be denotified – UPSC Current
Shivalik elephant reserve to be denotified
Why in News?
- The Uttarakhand State Wildlife Board has decided to denotify the Shivalik Elephant Reserve, paving the way for expansion of the Jolly Grant airport.
- The withdrawal of the 2002 notification on Shivalik Elephant Reserve will pave the way for increased development activities in an area spread over 5405 square km including the expansion of Dehradun’s Jolly Grant airport
- The Board also gave its nod to start four new trek routes in Nelang valley which falls within the Gangotri National Park to give a boost to tourism.
Shivalik Elephant Reserve:
- It was notified in 2002 under the ‘Project Elephant’.
- Project Elephant was launched by the Government of India in the year 1992 as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme with following objectives:
- To protect elephants, their habitat & corridors.
- To address issues of man-animal conflict.
- Welfare of captive elephants.
- The Kansora-Barkot Elephant Corridor is located near to it.
- It is considered to have one of the highest densities of elephants found in India.
- The Indian elephant (Elephas maximus) occurs in the central and southern Western Ghats, North-east India, eastern India and northern India and in some parts of southern peninsular India. As per the Elephant Census, 2017, Karnataka has the highest population of Indian elephants.
CRACK UPSC EXAM IN 200 DAYS! –> CLICK HERE
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Current Affairs, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.
Prince Luthra Sir (AIR 577) will guide you throughout your journey of Prelims, Miains and Interview. Once you crack this exam you can also talk to Prince Sir about Lbsnaa as well as postings experiences.
All the best!