NOTA Hold fresh polls where got most votes | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
NOTA Hold fresh polls where got most votes
Why in News?
An advocate has moved the Supreme Court for a direction that fresh elections should be held in a constituency where NOTA (‘None of the above’ option) garnered the maximum number of votes. Besides, none of the candidates who lost to NOTA should be allowed to contest the fresh polls.
What is the NOTA system of India?
- In 2013, India became the 14th country to institute negative voting through NOTA. However, it is not a “right to reject”.
- Even if there are 99 NOTA votes out of a total of 100, and candidate X gets just one vote, X is the winner, having obtained the only valid vote.
- The rest of the NOTA votes will be treated as invalid or ‘no votes’.
- NOTA enfeeble the electorate as it does not empower to “select” either.
- It provides democratic means to express resentment anonymously rather than boycotting the polls outright.
CRACK UPSC EXAM IN 200 DAYS! –> CLICK HERE
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Current Affairs, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.
Prince Luthra Sir (AIR 577) will guide you throughout your journey of Prelims, Miains and Interview. Once you crack this exam you can also talk to Prince Sir about Lbsnaa as well as postings experiences.
All the best!