NGT directs all municipal corporations to sprinkle water before sweeping roads | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
NGT directs all municipal corporations to sprinkle water before sweeping roads
Why in News?
The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has directed all municipal corporations and local bodies in NCR and other cities where air quality is ‘poor’ to ensure that water is sprinkled on roads before sweeping them.
It also directed them to take further steps of planting of grass/raising small herbs and shrubs on the sides of the pavements/road shoulders and on open dusty areas, including the areas on the sides of the pavements/right of way.
The pavements may also be appropriately covered so as to prevent generation of dust and attention also needs to be given to stop burning of biomass/waste and regulate construction and demolition activities, the NGT said.
What is National Green Tribunal (NGT)?
- It is a specialised body set up under the National Green Tribunal Act (2010) for effective and expeditious disposal of cases relating to environmental protection and conservation of forests and other natural resources.
- With the establishment of the NGT, India became the third country in the world to set up a specialised environmental tribunal, only after Australia and New Zealand, and the first developing country to do so.
- NGT is mandated to make disposal of applications or appeals finally within 6 months of filing of the same.
- The NGT has five places of sittings, New Delhi is the Principal place of sitting and Bhopal, Pune, Kolkata and Chennai are the other four.
Structure of NGT
- The Tribunal comprises of the Chairperson, the Judicial Members and Expert Members. They shall hold office for term of five years and are not eligible for reappointment.
- The Chairperson is appointed by the Central Government in consultation with Chief Justice of India (CJI).
- A Selection Committee shall be formed by central government to appoint the Judicial Members and Expert Members.
- There are to be least 10 and maximum 20 full time Judicial members and Expert Members in the tribunal.
CRACK UPSC EXAM IN 200 DAYS! –> CLICK HERE
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Current Affairs, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.
Prince Luthra Sir (AIR 577) will guide you throughout your journey of Prelims, Miains and Interview. Once you crack this exam you can also talk to Prince Sir about Lbsnaa as well as postings experiences.
All the best!