NAVDEX 21 and IDEX 21 | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
NAVDEX 21 and IDEX 21: Current Affairs
NAVDEX 21 and IDEX 21
Context: Indian Navy Ship Pralaya reaches Abu Dhabi to participate in NAVDEX 21 and IDEX 21.
- It is Naval Defense Exhibition (NAVDEX) which provides a dedicated and focused platform for international Naval Defense and maritime security companies to showcase their technologies, innovation and services before international audience.
- International Defense Exhibition (IDEX) is the only international exhibition in the MENA region demonstrating the latest technology across land, sea and air sectors of defense.
- It is a unique platform to establish and strengthen relationships with government departments, business and armed forces throughout the region.
About INS Pralaya:
- INS Pralaya, the second ship of the indigenously built Prabal Class Missile Vessels, was commissioned in the Indian Navy on 18 December 2002.
- The 56 m long ship, displacing about 560 T is capable of speeds in excess of 35 knots and is fitted with an impressive array of weapons and sensors.
- These include a 76.2 mm medium range gun, 30 mm close range guns, chaff launchers and long range surface to surface missiles.
- The ship, built indigenously at Goa Shipyard Limited, bears testimony to capabilities of the Indian ship building industry and is a versatile platform capable of performing a wide variety of surface warfare missions.
- INS Mysore is also participating in the exhibition. It is an indigenously built guided missile destroyer deployed in the Persian Gulf.
- Participation of INS Pralaya in NAVDEX 21 and IDEX 21, one of the leading international naval and defence exhibitions of the region, is aimed at showcasing the strengths of India’s indigenous ship building, in line with Hon’ble Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Aatmanirbhar Bharat’.
- In addition, participation of an Indian Navy Ship in NAVDEX 21 and IDEX 21 also highlights close relations between India and UAE.
- Defence relations between India and UAE have been steadily growing since the upgradation of bilateral relations to a ‘Comprehensive Strategic Partnership’ during the visit of Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi in January 2017 as Chief Guest at India’s Republic Day celebrations.
- Towards enhancing interactions between the two navies, inaugural edition of Indian Navy – UAE Navy bilateral exercise GULF STAR – 1 was conducted in March 2018. The next edition of the exercise is likely to be conducted in 2021.
About Middle East and North Africa (MENA):
- MENA is an acronym for the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region.
- It is alternatively called the WANA (West Asiaand North Africa). The MENA acronym is often used in academia, military planning, disaster relief, media planning as a broadcast region, and business writing.
- Some terms have a wider definition than MENA, such as MENAP, MENAPA or Greater Middle East, which also include the South Asiancountries of Afghanistan and Pakistan. The term MENAT explicitly includes Turkey, which is usually excluded from MENA definitions, even though Turkey is almost always considered part of the ‘Middle East’.
- The MENA region accounts for approximately 6% of the world’s population, 60% of the world’s oil reserves, and 45% of the world’s natural gas reserves.
- Due to the region’s substantial petroleum and natural gas reserves, MENA is an important source of global economic stability.
- The following countries are typically included in MENA: Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Cyprus, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malta, Morocco, Mauritania, Palestine, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen, Turkey and Western Sahara.
CRACK UPSC EXAM IN 200 DAYS! –> CLICK HERE
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Daily Current Affairs MCQs for UPSC, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.