Marine spatial planning in Lakshadweep and Puducherry | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS |
Marine spatial planning in Lakshadweep and Puducherry: Current Affairs
Marine spatial planning in Lakshadweep and Puducherry
Context: India and Norway agreed to conduct marine spatial planning in Lakshadweep and Puducherry.
More on News:
- This is a part of the Indo-Norway Integrated Ocean Initiativeunder the Memorandum of Understanding signed between the two countries in 2019. Lakshadweep and Puducherry have been identified as pilot sites for the project.
- The two countries have decided to extend support for sustainable ocean resources utilisation to advance economic and social development in coastal areas.
- The initiative known as Marine Spatial Planning (MSP) will be implemented by the Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) through National Centre for Coastal Research (NCCR) for India.
- These sites have been chosen for the pilot project in view of their setups with unique opportunities for multiple sectors (such as industries, fisheries, and tourism) to flourish.
- In the future, marine spatial planning framework of these two environmentally critical areas can be replicated to other coastal regions of the country.
- Notably, the World Bank and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) have expressed interest in supporting MoES in conducting MSP, a societal-beneficial initiative for India’s coastal regions.
- It is a part of India’s vision of New India by 2030 highlights blue economy as one of the ten core dimensions of growth.
- MSP is globally identified as a tool for sustainable and integrated ocean management. It is a noted area for work in India’s (draft) Blue Economic Policy being developed by MoES.
About National Centre for Coastal Research (NCCR):
- NCCR an attached office of Ministry of Earth Science (MoES).
- NCCR, is envisaged to develop and improve the country’s capabilities in addressing the challenging problems prevailing in the coastal zone, which have societal, economic and environmental implications.
- These activities of NCCR would be an integral part of the Ministry’s mission to offer scientific and technical support to coastal communities and stakeholders for integrated and sustainable use of resources towards socio-economic benefit of the society.
- HQ : Chennai
- Foundation: 1998
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Daily Current Affairs MCQs for UPSC, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.