India’s First Green Energy Convergence Project | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS |
India’s First Green Energy Convergence Project: Current Affairs
India’s First Green Energy Convergence Project
Context: Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) Signs memorandum of understanding with (Department of New & Renewable Energy) DNRE, Goa to implement the country’s first Convergence Project.
About India’s First Green Energy Convergence Project
- Under the MoU (memorandum of understanding), EESL and DNRE will carry out the feasibility studies and subsequent implementation of decentralized solar energy projects.
- Under this project, EESL shall implement the solar energy projects, the establishment of 100 MW of decentralized ground-mounted Solar Power projects on government lands to be used for agricultural pumping, replace approximately 6,300 agricultural pumps with BEE (Bureau of Energy Efficiency) star rated energy efficient pumps and distribute approximately 16 Lakh LED bulbs for rural domestic households.
Features of the project
- The projects will accelerate the usage of renewable energy sources, especially for agricultural and rural power consumption in the State.
- The projects will also contribute to the reduction of peak energy demand through the deployment of energy-efficient pumping and lighting thus contributing to overall sustainability.
- In Goa, to provide clean power at affordable rates, EESL will install solar projects in a first of its kind large scale programme where vacant/unused land provided by the Gram Panchayats/electricity board will be utilized.
- The solar power plant will be installed near the substation, with capacities ranging from 500KW to 2 MW, depending on the size of the land, this will enable DISCOMs (Distribution Companies) to supply power during the day time and reduce transmission losses.
- It is a joint venture of (National Thermal Power Corporation) NTPC Limited, Power Finance Corporation, Rural Electrification Corporation and POWERGRID, Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) was set up under the Ministry of Power to facilitate the implementation of energy efficiency projects.
- EESL is a Super Energy Service Company (ESCO) that seeks to unlock the energy efficiency market in India, by way of innovative business and implementation models.
- It also acts as the resource centre for capacity building of State DISCOMs, Electricity Regulatory Commissions, upcoming ESCOs, financial institutions, etc.
CRACK UPSC EXAM IN 200 DAYS! –> CLICK HERE
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Daily Current Affairs MCQs for UPSC, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.