Fertilizers in India | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS |
Subscribe to Mission UPSC 2022 - Click Here
Fertilizers in India
Consider the following statements with reference to Fertilizers in India:
1. India is the one of the world’s leading exporter of Phosphate-based fertilizers.
2. The government provides Nutrient Based Subsidy (NBS) to Phosphatic & Potassic (P&K) Fertilizers.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
Correct Answer is : B
Why in news?
- India is staring at a severe shortage of Diammonium phosphate (DAP).
- Statement 1 is incorrect:
oIndia is the one of the world’s leading importer of Phosphate-based fertilizers.
oAbout 30% of DAP’s annual demand is met by domestic production in the country while the balance is imported.
- Statement 2 is correct:
oThe government provides Nutrient Based Subsidy (NBS) to Phosphatic & Potassic (P&K) Fertilizers.
- Recently, the government has increased the subsidy to around 140% on DAP fertilizer to retain the selling price for farmers at the current level.