Editors Guild urges Press Council of India advisory | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
Editors Guild urges Press Council of India advisory
Why in News?
- The Editors Guild of India has urged the Press Council of India to withdraw its “ominous-sounding” advisory cautioning against “unregulated circulation of the foreign content”, saying it has disturbing implications.
- What is the Editors Guild of India?
- Editors Guild is an organization which was established in the year 1978. The organization was created with the aim of protecting freedom of the press and raising the standards of editorial leadership of newspapers and magazines.
- The PCI was established under the PCI Act of 1978.
- Aim:It aims to preserve the freedom of the press and maintain and improve the standards of newspapers and news agencies in India.
Composition:The PCI consists of a chairman and 28 other members.
- The Chairman is selected by the Speaker of the Lok Sabha, the Chairman of the Rajya Sabha and a member elected by the PCI.
Functions:The functions of the PCI include
- Helping newspapersmaintain their independence.
- Build a code of conduct for journalistsand news agencies.
- Help maintain “high standards of public taste” and foster responsibility among citizens.
- Review developments likely to restrict flow of news.
Powers:The PCI has the power to receive complaints of violation of the journalistic ethics, or professional misconduct by an editor or journalist.
- The PCI is responsible for enquiring into complaints received.
- It may summon witnesses and take evidence under oath, demand copies of public records to be submitted, even issue warnings and admonish the newspaper, news agency, editor or journalist.
- Decisions of the PCI are final and cannot be appealed before a court of law.
Limitations on the powers of the PCI:The powers of the PCI are restricted in two ways.
- The PCI has limited powers of enforcing the guidelines issued.It cannot penalize newspapers, news agencies, editors and journalists for violation of the guidelines.
- The PCI only overviews the functioning of print media.That is, it can enforce standards upon newspapers, journals, magazines and other forms of print media.
- It does not have the power to review the functioning of the electronic medialike radio, television and internet media.
CRACK UPSC EXAM IN 200 DAYS! –> CLICK HERE
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Current Affairs, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.
Prince Luthra Sir (AIR 577) will guide you throughout your journey of Prelims, Miains and Interview. Once you crack this exam you can also talk to Prince Sir about Lbsnaa as well as postings experiences.
All the best!