Cyclone Nisarga | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
Cyclone Nisarga : Current Affairs
Context: In June 2020, Cyclone Nisarga which was originated in the Arabian strike the Indian State of Maharastra, Gujarat and Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
| What is Nisarga Cyclone?|
· Nisarga was a tropical cyclone originated in Arabian Sea.
· Cyclone is any large system of winds that circulates about a centre of low atmospheric pressure in a counterclockwise direction north of the Equator and in a clockwise direction to the south.
· Nisarga was also the first cyclone to impact Mumbai since Phyan of 2009.
· Nisarga was the second cyclone to strike the Indian subcontinent after the cyclone Amphan, the first super cyclonic storm to have formed in the Bay of Bengal in the 21st Century.
· The name Nisarga was given by Bangladesh.
How tropical cyclones are named?
· Cyclones that form in every ocean basin across the world are named by the regional specialised meteorological centres (RSMCs) and Tropical Cyclone Warning Centres (TCWCs). There are six RSMCs in the world, including the India Meteorological Department (IMD), and five TCWCs.
While picking names for cyclones, there are some and rules and guidelines that countries need to follow. If these guidelines are followed, the name is accepted by the panel on tropical cyclones (PTC) that finalises the selection
CRACK UPSC EXAM IN 200 DAYS! –> CLICK HERE
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Daily Current Affairs MCQs for UPSC, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.