Congo Declare New Ebola Epidemics | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
Congo Declare New Ebola Epidemics: Current Affairs
Congo Declare New Ebola Epidemics –
Context: In June 2020, Democratic Republic of Congo declared a new Ebola epidemic.
What is Ebola Virus?
- Ebola virus disease (EVD), formerly known as Ebola haemorrhagic fever, is a rare but severe, often fatal illness in humans.
- The virus is transmitted to people from wild animals and spreads in the human population through human-to-human transmission.
- The average EVD case fatality rate is around 50%. Case fatality rates have varied from 25% to 90% in past outbreaks.
Ebola Virus was first discovered in 1976 near Ebola river in today’s Democratic Republic of Congo.
About Democratic Republic of Congo–
- Location – Central Africa.
- The country has a 40km coastline on the Atlantic Ocean.
- Congo was surrounded by 9 countries- Angola, Burundi, Central African Republic, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
The country shares 5 of the famous African Great Lakes on its Eastern Border– Albert, Edward, Kivu, Tanganyika and Mweru.
CRACK UPSC EXAM IN 200 DAYS! –> CLICK HERE
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Daily Current Affairs MCQs for UPSC, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.