Black-footed ferret | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
Black-footed ferret: Current Affairs
Context: scientists have successfully cloned the black-footed ferret.
- Cloning is the process of taking genetic information from one living thing and creating identical copies of it. The copied material is called a clone. Geneticists have cloned cells, tissues, genes and entire animals.
- There are three different types of cloning, according to the National Human Genome Research Institute(NHGRI):
- Gene cloning, also called DNA cloning, creates copies of genes, or segments of DNA.
- Reproductive cloning makes duplicates of whole animals.
- Therapeutic cloning creates embryonic stem cells, which are used to create tissues that can repair or replace damaged tissues.
What’s the news?
- US scientists have successfully cloned an endangered black-footed ferret using frozen cells from a long-dead wild animal, the first time any native endangered species has been cloned in the United States.
- Black-footed ferret recovery efforts aimed at increased genetic diversity and disease resistance.
About black-footed ferret:
- It is native to central North America.
- IUNCN Status:
CRACK UPSC EXAM IN 200 DAYS! –> CLICK HERE
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Daily Current Affairs MCQs for UPSC, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.