APEDA strategizes Action Plan for the promotion of Millets and Millet products with IIMR | UPSC CURRENT AFFAIRS
APEDA strategizes Action Plan for the promotion of Millets and Millet products with IIMR
Why in News?
Considering the potential of increasing exports of Millets and Millet products and the focus given by Government for development of Millet sector of Nurti-Cereals, APEDA is formulating a strategy with Indian Institute of Millet Research (IIMR) and other stakeholders like National Institute Nutrition, CFTRI and Farmer Producer Organizations (FPOs) for perspective planning of five years for promotion of Millets and Millet products. In this regard a meeting was organized by APEDA with IIMR on 2nd December 2020 under the Chairmanship of Chairman, APEDA.
The Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA) was established by the Government of India under the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority Act, 1985. It functions under the Ministry of Commerce and Industry. The Authority has its headquarters in New Delhi.
- APEDA is mandated with the responsibility of export promotion and development of the scheduled products viz. fruits, vegetables and their products; meat and meat products; poultry and poultry products; dairy products; confectionery, biscuits and bakery products; honey, jaggery and sugar products; cocoa and its products, chocolates of all kinds; alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages; cereal and cereal products; groundnuts, peanuts and walnuts, pickles, papads and chutneys; floriculture and floriculture products; herbal and medicinal plants.
- APEDA has been entrusted with the responsibility to monitor import of sugar.
- It looks after the development of industries relating to the scheduled products for export by way of providing financial assistance or otherwise for undertaking surveys and feasibility studies, participating through subsidy schemes.
- Registration of persons as exporters of the scheduled products and fixing of standards and specifications for the scheduled products for the purpose of exports.
- Carrying out inspection of meat and meat products in slaughterhouses, processing plants, storage premises and improving packaging of the scheduled products.
Composition of APEDA Authority
- The APEDA Authority consists of the following members namely:
- A Chairman appointed by the Central Government
- The Agricultural Marketing Advisor to the Government of India, ex-officio
- Three members of Parliament of whom two are elected by the House of People and one by the Council of States
- Eight members appointed by the Central Government representing respectively; the Ministries of the Central Govt.
- Agriculture and Rural Development
- Civil Supplies
- Civil Aviation
- Shipping and transport
Five members appointed by the Central Government by rotation in alphabetical order to represent the States and the Union Territories
- Seven members appointed by the Central Govt. representing
- Indian Council of Agricultural Research
- National Horticultural Board
- National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation
- Central Food Technological Research Institute
- Indian Institute of Packaging
- Spices Export Promotion Council and
- Cashew Export Promotion Council
- Twelve members appointed by the Central Government representing
- Fruit and Vegetable Products Industries
- Meat, Poultry and Dairy Products Industries
- Other Scheduled Products Industries
- Packaging Industry
- Two members appointed by the Central Government from amongst specialists and scientists in the fields of agriculture, economics and marketing of the scheduled products.
CRACK UPSC EXAM IN 200 DAYS! –> CLICK HERE
PRELIMS + MAINS GUIDANCE PROGRAMME —> CLICK HERE
Spectrum Modern Indian History MCQs Video Series –> CLICK HERE
ART AND CULTURE MCQs VIDEO SERIES –> CLICK HERE
Welcome to Netmock. Netmock is India’s leading website for UPSC/IAS UPPCS preparation. Areas like General Studies, Current Affairs, Spectrum Modern Indian History, Indian Polity Laxmikant Indian Economy, Indian art and culture, Geography, Environment & Ecology, National issues, International issues, The Hindu analysis, The Hindu analysis, Current Affairs MCQs 100 and 200 days UPSC preparation are covered.
Prince Luthra Sir (AIR 577) will guide you throughout your journey of Prelims, Miains and Interview. Once you crack this exam you can also talk to Prince Sir about Lbsnaa as well as postings experiences.
All the best!