7th November UPSC Current Affairs
India determined to Protect SovereigntyDefence Minister said India is a peace-loving country but determined to protect its sovereignty and territorial integrity in the face of “unilateralism and aggression”
- India has been facing other challenges on its borders.
- India is determined to protect its sovereignty and territorial integrity in the face of unilateralism and aggression.
- Peace could only be ensured through “the ability to deter war.
- There had been an attempt to build this deterrence through a judicious combination of capability development and an emphasis on long term policy of indigenization.
- Our strategic partnership with the U.S. is stronger than ever before.
- He also said that India also had strong, traditional and deep-rooted relations with Russia and the two countries have “weathered many a challenge in the past.”
- India has also forged a very special partnership with reliable friends like France and Israel,”
- India and Australia shared “common concerns” and “shared values”
- Last month, the foreign ministers of the Quad grouping comprising India, Australia, Japan and the U.S. met in Tokyo and later India agreed to the participation of Australia in Exercise Malabar 2020 along with Japan and the U.S.
Stubble burning share in DelhiThe share of stubble burning in Delhi’s pollution rose to 42 % on Thursday, the maximum so far this season, according to a central government air quality monitoring agency.
- Experts said raging farm fires and a fall in the wind speed and temperatures pushed air quality in Delhi-NCR to the worst levels
- Ministry of Earth Sciences’ air quality monitor, SAFAR, said the farm fire count in Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and neighbouring areas increased significantly and stood at 4,135
- Stubble burning accountal ranged from 5% to 40% in last 1 week. But it peaked to 44%.
- PM10 levels in Delhi-NCR stood at 561 microgram per cubic meter (µg/m3).
AQI deteriorates, remains in ‘very poor’ categorySmog engulfed the Capital as the air quality deteriorated but remained in the “very poor” category. The 24-hour average air quality was 343, based on data from 35 monitoring stations of the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB).Key Points
- Faridabad, Noida, Greater Noida and Ghaziabad were also in the “very poor” category.
- Only Gurugram settled in the “poor” category.
- By evening, several monitoring stations in the Capital were in the “severe” category.
- The Ministry of Earth Sciences’ air quality monitor, SAFAR, said that the air quality is likely to deteriorate further.
- The SAFAR synergised stubble fire counts over Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, and neighbouring areas have marginally decreased
Pakistan Forms a body to manage Kartarpur GurdwaraPakistan has formed a Project Management Unit Kartarpur Corridor, a self-financing body, for the management of Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur.
- This move has been criticized by Shiromani Akali Dal.
- SAD demands the reversal of Pakistan's decision to take full control of Gurudwara Kartarpur Sahib from Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (PSGPC)
- The new body which is created by Pakistan has not even a single SIKH member.
- The historical Gurudwara is less than five kilometers inside Pakistan territory.
- Pakistan charges a fee of USD 20 from any Sikh for using the Kartarpur Sahib corridor, which has been shut since the Covid-19 outbreak.
- Pakistan has created PMU a new body. This PMU is under the administrative control of the Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETPB), and has nine members, none of them Sikhs.
- The decision to form the PMU has taken many by surprise, as it is the PSGPC – much like India’s Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) – which looks after Gurdwaras in Pakistan.
Economy Recovering Faster Than ExpectedWhy in News?The economy is coming back on track sooner than expected as said by Union Minister of Information Broadcasting Prakash Javadekar. Main pointers
- The October data has shown 1.05 Lac crore GST collection.
- This collection is 10% higher than the GST collected last year October.
- The power demand is also increased by 12% which also is an indication of returning to normalcy.
WhatsApp Payments: Sending Money is as easy as sending a MessageZuckerberg said with UPI, India has created something truly special and is opening up a “world of opportunities for micro and small businesses that are the backbone of the Indian economy”
- National Payment Corporation of India has passed WhatsApp as one of the mediums to send UPI payments.
- Now sending money will be as easy as sending a message.
- There is no fee on such transactions and it is supported by more than 140 banks.
- Digital payment has become even more important during pandemic.
- Whatsapp payment is available in 10 different languages.
- Prime Minister is trying hard to make India the engine of global growth.
- Recently Mr. Modi invited global investors to come and invest in India.
- Through virtual global investor roundtable With leaders of sovereign wealth funds, domestic business leaders and leaders of top pension, the Prime Minister said “If you want returns with reliability, India is the place to be. If you want demand with democracy, India is the place to be. If you want stability with sustainability, India is the place to be. If you want growth with a green approach, India is the place to be. India’s growth has the potential to catalyse global economic resurgence.”
- Investors will enjoy a multiplier impact whenever there is any achievement by India.
- Government is finalizing a master plan for connectivity infrastructure under 1.5 trillion dollars national infrastructure pipeline.
- The focus in the upcoming years will be on highways, railways waterways airports and metros throughout the country.
- the country's vision of Atmanirbhar Bharat is not only a vision per se but also a well planned economic strategy.
A nasal spray to block the Corona virusWhy in news?The scientists are one step closer to develop a nasal spray which can fight the pandemic. The daily spritz up in the nose is expected to work like vaccine.Important Points
- The study has revealed the Spray blocks the absorption of SARS CoV2
- The spray is nontoxic and stable and it's found to work on humans.
- It could be a new weapon in our Arsenal to fight the pandemic.
- The spray attacks the virus directly.
- It contains a lipopeptide, a cholesterol particle linked to a chain of amino acids, the building blocks of proteins.
- This particular lipopeptide exactly matches a stretch of amino acids in the spike protein of the virus, which the pathogen uses to attach to a human airway or lung cell.
- India’s resolution was Co sponsored by more than 75 countries which was adopted by consensus in the first meeting of United Nations General Assembly.
- India has requested all the members to cooperate in the area to prevent terrorist from acquiring weapons of mass destruction.
- It was adopted by consensus without any voting.
- it makes every state to refrain from supporting known state actors and preventing them for acquiring, manufacturing, transferring, transporting or possessing nuclear chemical or biological weapons.